History of Tepid Baths

Follow us on  

Tepid Baths were originally built in 1914, and contained two separate pools: a “male” (25m, 6 lanes) and “female” (18m, 4 lanes). The “male” pool was the largest in New Zealand at the time. Heated with hot water from the nearby tramways power plant, the system was considered an engineering masterpiece of its time. The facility was refurbished in 1986 and again in 1997 by Auckland City Council.

In April 2010 Tepid Baths closed for repairs and a major makeover after independent engineers advised council that the building’s structural issues posed a significant risk to public health and safety. At nearly 100 years old, the building will remain a great place to swim for the next 50 years.

Auckland Council has allocated $15.8 million for the redevelopment of the baths. The project was set to take care of the deeper structural issues that aren’t readily visible to the naked eye. It would also address general wear and tear and an overall upgrade of the pools, fitness centre and changing rooms.

On 23 June 2012, Tepid Baths reopened to the public. Once again a grand building, proud to show glimpses of it’s past and one that is also sleek, modern and ready to train champions.

The council acknowledges the support of the Waitemata Local Board in seeing this project through. This is a premium facility for the people of the Waitemata local area. Feel free to browse the heritage panels displayed poolside.